Meghalaya Governor V Shanmuganathan resigns over sexual misconduct

Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said he was waiting for Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Union Home Ministry to take a call on the Governor.

Meghalaya Governor V Shanmuganathan resigns over sexual misconduct

Amid the allegations of sexual misconduct, Meghalaya Governor V Shanmuganathan has notified Centre that he plans to step down.

According to The Indian Express report, almost 80 employees of the Shillong Raj Bhavan sent a letter to the Prime Minister’s Office and Rashtrapati Bhavan demanding immediate removal of the Governor.

Reportedly, Shanmuganathan,68, was in Itanagar for the Republic Day celebrations — he also holds additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh — had asked an assistant in Shillong to collect his personal belongings and files from his bedroom, and the seal of the Meghalaya Governor. These will be sent to Guwahati on Friday morning.


His “activities”, the letter sent to the PMO alleged, “seriously compromised the dignity” of Raj Bhavan, converting it into a “young ladies’ club”, causing “severe humiliation, mental stress and torture” to employees, shunting out other employees and bringing in “only the young girls”. The letter alleged that “two public relations officers, a cook and a nurse… all of whom are women” had been appointed on “night duty” at the Raj Bhavan.

On Thursday, two civil society groups — Civil Society Women Organisation (CSWO) and Thma u Rangli (TUR) — conducted a signature campaign and staged a demonstration outside the Shillong Raj Bhavan, demanding immediate removal of the Governor.

Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said he was waiting for Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Union Home Ministry to take a call on the Governor. “We will await for what call they will take (on the complaint),” PTI quoted Sangma.

Shanmuganathan had taken charge as Meghalaya Governor on May 20, 2015, held additional charge of Manipur from September 30, 2015, to August 21, 2016, and an additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh from September 13, 2016.

A woman job aspirant had also accused the governor of making advances when she was appeared for an interview at the Raj Bhavan.