2-yr-old dies after mum gives him expired cough syrup in Karnataka

Sources said the syrup was long past its expiry date, and she allegedly picked the bottle when the boy's cough was persistent

2-yr-old dies after mum gives him expired cough syrup in Karnataka

A two-year-old boy died after his mother erroneously administered a dose of expired cough syrup in Mandya district of Karnataka on Wednesday morning.

According to a report in The Times of India, police said Manasa allegedly took the decision to administer oral drops to her son without medical advice. Sources said the syrup was long past its expiry date, and she allegedly picked the bottle when the boy's cough was persistent.


Within minutes, the boy, Dikshit, lost consciousness. The frightened parents rushed the child to taluk hospital where the only duty doctor was away conducting postmortem on a farmer, who committed suicide hours earlier.

The parents then rushed him to a private nursing home where doctors declared him brought dead.

The grief-stricken parents alleged if the doctor was present at the hospital and treated the child during their first visit, their child would have been alive.

District health officer Dr Mohan rejected the family's allegation and said the issue of concern was the boy's parents keeping an expired drug at home and administering it without medical advice.