Casey Affleck speaks out on sexual harassment allegations

Affleck clinched the Best Actor award for Manchester By The Sea at Sunday night’s ceremony, but the decision to award him was heavily criticised,

Casey Affleck speaks out on sexual harassment allegations

Oscar 2017's Best Actor award winner Casey Affleck breaks his silence on the 2010's sexual harassment allegations which resurfaced after his Academy award win.

Affleck took home the Best Actor award for Manchester By The Sea at Sunday night’s ceremony, but the decision to award him was heavily criticised, a report in standard.co.uk says.

According to Business Insider report, Affleck  was embroiled in the controversy surrounding news that he had been sued by two women who worked on his 2010 indie mockumentary film, "I'm Still Here," claiming the actor sexually harassed them .


The controversy resurfaced again when presenter Brie Larson was celebrated by some viewers for not clapping for Affleck after giving him his Oscar.

Affleck, in an interview with the Boston Globe after his win, made it clear that those involved in the lawsuits, including himself, are barred from commenting on them and that the public doesn't know the full details of the cases, which were settled.

"I believe that any kind of mistreatment of anyone for any reason is unacceptable and abhorrent," Affleck said, "and everyone deserves to be treated with respect in the workplace and anywhere else.

"There's really nothing I can do about it," Affleck added, "other than live my life the way I know I live it and to speak to what my own values are and how I try to live by them all the time."

After Affleck was nominated for the award in January, "Fresh Off the Boat" actress Constance Wu called out the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the organization that awards the Oscars, for favoring a "good acting performance" over "human integrity," and for the message she believes Affleck's nomination sent to men.